2022 Chamber Christmas Parade & Santa Visits - Saturday, December 3, 2022
Held on the first Saturday (immediately following the first Friday in December) is the Annual Christmas Parade beginning at 11:00am. Parade line up begins at 10:00am at the Wayland VFW Post #7581 and concludes at the Wayland Fire Department. Non-profits are eligible to win a cash prize for decorating according to the parade theme (announced in October). City Police parade rules are enforced and should be reviewed prior to participation. Parade rules can be viewed at the bottom of this page.
On Saturday, December 3rd, the Wayland Area Chamber of Commerce will be hosting Wayland’s Annual Christmas Parade & visits with Santa and Mrs. Claus. The parade will begin at 11:00am at the Wayland VFW Post 7581 located at 735 S Main Street. The parade will proceed North on Main, then go West on Superior. The parade will conclude at the Wayland Fire Department, 160 W Superior. Santa and Mrs. Claus will be available to greet children at the Wayland Fire Department at the conclusion of the parade.
Leading the parade will be our Grand Marshal - TBA soon!
This year, the parade theme is “The Grinch” which allows those entering the parade to decorate accordingly. It is not required to decorate to the theme, but it is required to be included in theme judging. Cash prizes are awarded for the top three non-profit participants who decorate according to the theme. For Profit businesses are eligible to win the annual Christmas Parade. Please note that the Wayland Area Chamber of Commerce provides Santa and Mrs. Claus for the parade so it is requested that all other parade entries do not use another Santa, or Mrs. Claus, in their displays. This will avoid potential confusion for the children.
For parade participants, please register at 2022 Christmas Parade Registration
Vehicle line up begins at 10:00am and walkers line up at 10:30. Parade rules must be reviewed prior to registering and can be found in the registration link.
In addition, the Wayland Boy Scout Troop 97 is encouraging parade spectators to bring non-perishable food items or gently used or new coats, gloves, scarfs, boots, and hats. There will be many Boy Scouts walking in the parade picking up these items along the route. Items can be handed to the Scouts as the walk by. All items will go towards the Wayland Christian Neighbors.
City Police Parade Rules are as follows:
- Nothing shall be thrown from any moving vehicle. Handing out candy or other objects is permitted by walkers only.
- All dogs in the parade must be kept on leashes and held by someone strong enough to handle them.
- All animals participating in the parade must be kept under control.
- Four wheelers, all-terrain vehicles, and mini-racers are prohibited except in certain conditions that are approved by the Wayland City Police Department.
- A parade entrant which operates a vehicle or other equipment in such a way that can be dangerous (burn outs, careless/reckless driving) to spectators or other parade participants will be removed from the parade and possibly cited.
- The parade route is one-way. No parade entrant may reverse direction.
- Participants on bikes, scooters, skateboards, skates, etc. must wear a helmet and proper safety equipment.
- No one may step off a vehicle, float, or any other moving piece of equipment during the parade except in an emergency. Float riders must be completely on the float with no legs or other parts of the body hanging over the sides of the float.
Memorial Day Parade
Held annually on Memorial Day beginning at 11:00am at the MI State Police Post and concluding at the Wayland VFW Post #7581. Parade line up begins at 10:00am. BBQ Lunch served at the VFW at the conclusion of the parade. City Police parade rules are enforced and should be reviewed prior to participation. Parade rules can be viewed at the bottom of this page.
Wayland Memorial Day Events Announced – Monday, May 30, 2022
All are invited to Wayland’s VFW Annual Memorial Day events scheduled for Monday, May 30th. Veterans are needed for cemetery honors (including rifle and taps) and parade participation. The bus for the cemetery honors will depart by 7:30am from the Wayland VFW. Please arrive by 7:15am. The cemetery schedule is:
8:50am: Native American
9:45am: St. Cyrils & Methodias
As always, we ask that trucks/semis refrain from blowing horns and sirens throughout the parade duration.
Beginning at 11:00am is the Annual Memorial Day Parade beginning at the MI State Police Post and concluding at the Wayland VFW Post 7581. At the parade conclusion, the public is invited to the VFW to enjoy the BBQ. Cash/Check ONLY for the luncheon. The luncheon will include hamburgers/hot dogs, macaroni salad and chips. Burger meal is $8.00. Hot dog meal is $6.00. For an additional burger, it is $5 and for an additional hot dog it is $2. Pop and water are $1.00 each
If you are able to participate for the cemetery honors, would like to volunteer at the luncheon, or have any questions, please contact the Wayland VFW Post #7581 at 269-792-2975 (after 4:00pm)